
Ok.... time for a little bit of a back story.
For the last few months Sarah has been talking about how EASY shopping for me is this christmas, and how she has sooo many options. She had also been hinting for a long time about picking up an XBox 360. She asked things like, "so if you got one, which games would you like" and "you really think you want one of those?"
I had also caught her reading about it on xbox.com and a ton of review sites. Over the last few weeks all XBox mentions have stopped around the house. I let it go.
A couple weeks ago at Lina's place I was chatting with Lucas about Xmas. I asked him if a 360 was on his list and he said no because he was very happy with his old school Xbox. I told him I secretly hoped I was getting one. Later on, he sold me out and blurted to Sarah that i thought I was getting a 360.
That's when she hatched her little plan.
I asked her a couple times for hints into my gift - so I'd know what ballpark the gift I got her should be in - price wise. She wouldn't say. I told her she was getting a new perfume called "Lovely", to which she replied "Oh". I laughed and had her admit - well thats close to the price of ONE of the things I got you - but there's also a big gift for you that a bunch of us chipped in on. That comment definately had me thinking XBox.
When Christmas Eve came, I opened up a ton of AWESOME presents. From Sarah i got the WWE DVD board game which Dan-e-o and I run all the time. It was a cool gift, but I was a little confused. I asked her afterwards, "what happened to this group gift you were talking about". She quickly replied, "you're getting it tomorrow at our house". I didn't understand why all other gifts has been opened but one was left out. She made some remark about the gift not being ready, then seemed frustrated and just blurted "it's an expensive new suit. We all chipped in and got you a black suit with thin pinstripes from George Richards".
Now, don't get me wrong - a suit sounded great, but it seemed a little out of left field. She continued on - "I know you wanted an XBox, and we tried to get you one, but they were all sold out. We looked everywhere. The things were selling on Ebay for 1500 and we weren't about to spend that much. Your mom thought this would be a much better gift and she loves seeing you dressed up in suits".
Man... oh well. To be honest, I knew in my heart the XBox 360's were selling like mad and I didn't think they'd be able to pull it off - so a suit seemed very very generous.
Sunday morning we opened more gifts for Tasha and Sarah gave me all the stocking-stuffers she picked up. Dark chocolate, a Q20 game (WHICH I LOVE) and of all things NBA LIVE 2006 for the XBox 360! HUH??
She said that she bought the game months ago, knowing it would sell out, and expecting to get one of the later shipments of an XBox unit. She said she was on a waiting list at EB and something MIGHT materialize in February or March. She said I could hold onto the game or just return it Monday.
I appreciated this tremendously. This to me, was proof she had REALLY tried. I was blown away. I thanked her repeatedly.
Both our parents, Baba and Joe came by that afternoon. The plan was for David to prepare dinner and for us all to enjoy together.
Sarah told me to thank both moms for chipping in on the suit - to which 'Ma Lex' and my mom acted all surpised. "You told him Sarah? You ruined the surprise!"
Just before dinner, my dear wife said that my mother brought the suit and it was time to unwrap it. I was preparing to check out my new threads when suddenly, what was brought to me was a wrapped box! Well figure out the rest...I was FLOORED. BLOWN AWAY.
They went on to tell me that they had lined up on three seperate mornings outside a store for three seperate shipments. The first two had them come up empty handed, but my mom got an inside tip on a small shipment coming in a few weeks ago and she lined up and snagged one. They said they even had family in the states searching the department stores.
Wow.
I'm still floored - even now - after having played about 9 hours of NBA LIVE 2006.
The only downside is learning that my wife is a TREMENDOUSLY gifted liar and I can never trust her again. Ever.
But at least I have an XBox.
MERRY CHRISTMAS.
6 comments:
I'm not sure if I should say "You suck", or "You are a suck.".
Take your pick I guess.
Jealousy is so ugly.
Don't hate brother... yer close enough that you can come by and share in my 360 joy.
Dude...your IM name is "Donnie has an XBOX 360 and you don't!"...don't act like you're not above it.
I'll be over tomorrow.
...to steal it!
Yup
I looooove rubbin it in....
Hey!! We couldn't get one!! The boys have to wait till April or May! Enjoy it! You really stink on this one!! HA!! Justin got Madden NFL 2006 game for his birthday and Xmas. They both got a new TV to play their games on it for Xmas, but no Xbox 360 to play it on. They have the old version. So now we have to wait, and wait, and wait............
Love Lina
Hey, I didn't hear from you at Christmas. You don't love me anymore!!!!
That's just sad.
Grandma impersonating my 4 month old! Stealing her identity online!
Post a Comment