Who was I kidding? They sent me home last night at 7:00 PM to get some rest and to relax, but I knew I wasn't going to stay there. I was home just long enough to download some pictures, post the story on this site and send out a few emails. Then I went right back to the hospital to be with my girls. After a quick shower I actually felt great, but there must be something in that hospital air that makes you sleepy! As soon as I walked in, I felt my eyes getting dry and droopy. I got back around 9 to see Tasha bundled up tightly with my mom sitting there watching my dear wife finally get some much needed rest.My mother offered to go get me some dinner (something I neglected to do in my haste to get back) while I sat there with my girls. Sarah woke up a few minutes later when Tasha made the slightest little noise. She's got mommy-radar already. Tasha was obviously hungry again and it was time for another feeding. That's when Gamma Lex and Uncle Joe showed... after visitng hours - naughty naughty. Oh well!!
Because Tasha was born via section there was still a lot of fluid in her lungs when she was born. A lot of that was removed by the nurses immediately, and they said she would just spit it up on her own over the next few days. All I had to do was burp her, and wipe her down. I can handle that. This baby stuff is easy.
After burping and wiping, Lexie swaddled her up and I put her down to sleep. All our visitors left shortly there after and Sarah looked like she was just exhausted. Quite frankly, all three of us were.
I tucked both in, and went to lie down on my little hospital cot. Wow those things are uncomfortable (especially if you happen to be a 6'8" 240 pound monster). Just as I laid down, Tasha made a little throw-up noise. Daddy jumped out of bed to tend to his little peanut. This process continued for the next two hours or so - right up until baby's next feeding.
While Sarah nursed I finally fell asleep. During the night, the nurses came along and told Sarah she could no longer have her convenient bag of morphine (I think she had way too much fun hitting that button!) or her I.V. They gave her a little tylenol and encouraged her to sleep.
At about 7:00 I got up to find baby with a poopy diaper. So this was it. This was the moment I had feared my entire life. I was about to finally change my first (yup, that's right, first) diaper on a real live baby. First off, the Cabbage Patch doll i diapered in our pre natal class was not nearly as squirmy. I think I actually did alright though. After changing, Sarah took her for another feeding. After 20 minutes of that, guess what my little monkey did for daddy....... yup, another poopy diaper - but this time it had pee too. Wooo hooooo!
Actually I was very excited. This means she's eating well and developing properly. So now it was time for diaper change #2. No problem. I'm an expert now. Oh ... wait, why's she pooping right now? I thought she was done! Funny thing is, the poop didn't bother me at all.
My little princess is resting now, as is my bride. Both are doing really well. Sarah managed to get up on her own today. She walked to the bathroom, around the bed, and just started getting her legs loose. She's very sore still because of the stitches and everything, but she just seems to be glowing with a new found strength.
Wow I can't wait to take her home.
No comments:
Post a Comment