Earlier today, one of my former colleagues at the FAN 590, and a Canadian broadcasting legend Pat Marsden lost his long battle with cancer.Marsden, best known on the national scale for being the voice of the CFL for so many years was a guy who could tell a terrible story and make it compelling.
I interacted with Pat a lot during my days at The Fan when I was working overnights and Pat was co-hosting the morning show with John Davidson.
He'd look at me and say in his snarly voice, "You still work here? I thought I told Millman [program director] to fire your ass". The first time he said that I panicked a little. 'What did I do to piss off Marsden?'
When he used that same line for the next couple months in lieu of "hello" I realized that this man was all about getting in a good rib.
One story I'll never forget.... in the early 80's, Marsden was out in Edmonton for a CFL game. Pat was never one for political correctness, and got himself thrown in jail for comments he made on the air. This was on a Friday night. He was bailed out by Ron Lancaster. Three days later he was working an Ottawa Roughrider game, and got thrown in jail again! This time he was bailed out by Brian Mulroney.
He was a one of a kind, and a true original in an industry that fosters so many imitators. Thank you Pat.
Marsden was 69. He is survived by his wife T.A., daughter Taylor, Connor, and children Mike, Patti-Lee, and Ruth Mary, from his first marriage.
No comments:
Post a Comment