Sunday, November 13, 2005

Eddie Guerrero: 1967-2005

I first met Eddie Guerrero in 1998 in Buffalo at a WCW show. Unlike most wrestlers I ever met when I was still doing my wrestling show, I was actually really excited to meet Eddie. I had been a fan of his since his days in Mexico, and had followed his career closely. I was amazed by his charisma and work rate. When Eddie, Benoit, Saturn and Malenko decided to leave WCW and go to the then WWF, I was thrilled to help broker that deal for him. It was an honor to get four talented guys off the Titantic.

I was shocked into stunned silence on today when I learned that Eddie Guerreo died Sunday morning at a Marriot hotel in Minneapolis.

According to WWE.com "The cause of death is unknown at this time. An autopsy will be performed in Minneapolis on Monday, and Eddie's body will then be flown to Phoenix. Funeral arrangements are set for Wednesday in Scottsdale, Arizona."

More recent reports are suggesting that Eddie had an enlarged heart - caused by years of steroids and drug abuse. His problems with cocaine and pain killers has been well documented - but after going through re-hab and nearly dying in a car crash, Eddie cleaned himself up and had been sober for three years.

Unfortunately, he never stopped doing the juice. Just last month, Dan and I were discussing how Eddie's arms were looking bigger than ever. What a shame. His fellow wrestlers found him laying on the floor of the hotel bathroom, with a toothbrush still in his mouth. Hardly an ending suited for such a warrior.

Eddie is survived by his wife Vickie and daughters Shaul, 14, Sherilyn, 9, and Kaylie Marie, 3.

Vaya con el dios Eddie.

No comments: