Tuesday, August 23, 2005

The Champ's down but not out.

I don't even know why I'm blogging this. Maybe because seeing it on a screen just makes me realize it is reality and I need to come to terms with it. I found out about a half hour ago that our family dog, a 10 year old Bichon Frise named Champ, has gone completely deaf.

It's not clear at this point if it's a result of a recent ear infection, a side effect of the medicine the vet gave, or just something that little white dogs are pre-disposed to. The cause is irrelevant though. The fact is, that little dog can't hear me or anyone else anymore. When I phoned my mother to give her the daily "No baby yet" report, she told me the news. I was blown away and it really hit me hard.

After speaking to Sarah, and digesting what my mother had said, I started thinking that Champ will be just fine. This little dude has been through alot and come out with flying colours. Torn tendons, infections, tumors, bath time with John... if he could endure all of that, then this will just be another obstacle.

Mike's parents have a dog that's blind. I'm not sure which is worse at this point, but I'm under the impression that she lives a happy life, despite the handicap.

My sister is already researching ways to help Champ adjust. No one has discussed the 'permanent' option at this point. My mother only said that she won't put him down. I'm just going to have to teach him sign language or something. I can't believe how much I love that furball.

No comments: